Re: how do i install on windows 98?

rurik leffanta wrote:
i hate asking this question :)

i have unpacked a tar.gz file of gcc 2.95.3, but none of the 'instructions'
on how to activate it are addressed anywhere remotely near my
understanding..

isn't there a step-by-step description of how to accomplish this somewhere?
as said, i'm thoroughly baffled by the links usually provided in response to
this, ie. the mingw site..

Imo, the best way to install gcc on Win98 is to go to
http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml and click on the link to MinGW-3.1.0-1.exe.

When you've downloaded that exe file, run it and that will install the MinGW suite of apps (including gcc) for you. Then it's just a matter of adding the location of your MinGW/bin folder to your path ... and the job's done. Run 'gcc -v' to check that all's well.

Of course that will give you gcc 3.2.3. Did you really need 2.95.3 ?

Cheers,
Rob

--
Any emails containing attachments will be deleted from my ISP's mail server before I even get to see them. If you wish to email me an attachment, please provide advance warning so that I can make the necessary arrangements.