Installing gcc 2.95.3 on Red Hat Advanced Server 2.1

I need to have gcc 2.95.3 installed on Red Hat Advanced Server 2.1. Therefore I installed the OS without the gcc packages and subsequently installed the gcc version 2.95.3. However when I started compling my application, the linker gave the error of not finding crti.o. Therefore I had to install the package glibc-devel (and the package kernel-headers on which it is dependent). Thereafter the compilation proceeded through smoothly.

I just wanted to check the correct way of installing another version of gcc on RHAS other than gcc 2.96 which comes in by default. Are there any other steps I should follow/avoid?

Regards
Jyotirmoy Das