Re: Porting GCC to new target

Savithri Venkatachalapathy <snvpathy@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> While porting gcc to new target, I am not able to
> figure how to handle branch instructions.
> The .md descriptions of the bne, beq instructions take
> 3 rtx parameters while the expr.c, stmt.c, rtl.h,
> loop.c, unroll.c and optabe.c files have gen-beq(),
> gen-bne() prototypes which take only 1 rtx parameter.
> Hence when I try to 'make' it gives error saying that
> the prototypes of gen-beq() in the files mentioned
> above does not match with the prototype from the .md
> file.
>
> Could anybody tell me how to overcome this. DO I need
> to download different versions of the 6 files
> mentioned above which have branch prototypes taking 3
> parameters.

From
    http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/Jump-Patterns.html#Jump%20Patterns

    Some machines have compare-and-branch instructions and no
    condition code. A similar technique works for them. When it is
    time to "output" a compare instruction, record its operands in two
    static variables. When outputting the branch-on-condition-code
    instruction that follows, actually output a compare-and-branch
    instruction that uses the remembered operands.

See, e.g., the MIPS target "cmpsi" and "beq" patterns.

Ian