Re: linker option -s

See http://gcc.gnu.org/lists.html

> I'd just like to see a better documentation for the linker option
> '-s' in future versions of the manual. The current single-line
> description is, however, unsufficient. Removing 'relocation information'
> could be misunderstood as removing 'reloc tables', which would make
> an executable unloadable, which is in fact not true. I wonder if
> I could use this option when linking a dynamic library - can applications
> still find library functions if a lib was linked using -s ?
> And what kinda symbols are removed ? I still have absolutely no clue
> what this option is exactly doing, but i'm using it by default..

In the linker manual the -s option has a different one line

The -s option strips the normal symbol table and the debugging
information, but not the dynamic symbol table or the dynamic relocs.
As you say, stripping the dynamic information would make it impossible
to run the executable.  I think it would work to use -s when creating
a shared library.

Ian