Is __thread keyword for ppc supported?

Hi all,
I'm trying to compile a powerpc version (MPC 8260) version of the glibc 2.3.2 using a gcc 3.3 cross compiler with nptl library enabled.

When I run the configure for the glibc, the config process complains "compiler support for __thread is required".

However I cannot find a way to enable this suport within my cross compiler version of gcc.

This is a snipet of the code that cause the problem

> cat test.c
__thread int a = 42;

> powerpc-linux-gcc -c test.c
test.c:1: error: thread-local storage not supported for this target

Is Thread local storage supported for powerpc? What should I do to enable it?

Thanks
  Lapo

WebMail Tele2 http://www.tele2.it