pascal strings in C

Dear GCC Developers:

I'm working on porting a project which uses pascal-style strings in C++
code, for example like this:   unsigned char *str = "\phello";

Please could you tell me if it is possible to make GCC support these
pascal strings.

I did some searches and noticed that a pascal string patch was submitted
in 2001, but I don't know whether it made it into GCC.  I tried using the
"-fpascal-strings" option with GCC, but it said it was unrecognized.
What can I do?

I notice that Apple's version of GCC supports the "-fpascal-strings"
option.  Has this feature been integrated into the main distribution?  I
suppose I could try to use Apple's version of GCC, but that probably
won't work because I need to compile for x86, not PowerPC.

Please reply to:  spamme416@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks very much.

Andy