Re: problem on building gcc 3.3.1 on AIX5.2

On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 11:49:59AM +0900, Tsutomu Miyashita wrote:
> > ,----[ http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html ]
> > | First, we highly recommend that GCC be built into a separate directory
> > | than the sources which does not reside within the source tree. This is
> > | how we generally build GCC; building where srcdir == objdir should
> > | still work, but doesn't get extensive testing; building where objdir
> > | is a subdirectory of srcdir is unsupported.
> > `----
> >
> > So, try
> >
> > tar -zxvf gcc-3.3.1.tar.gz
> > mkdir gccobj
> > cd gccobj
> > ../gcc-3.3.1/configure [...]
> Thank you for your information.
> I made GCC according to your suggestion, but same problem occured too.

Okay. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't some unfortunate
coincidence because of building in a subdir of `srcdir' that caused
the error. Too bad it didn't work out.

But I did a little web research on google and it seems this is a known
problem (see http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-prs/2002-11/msg00963.html) when
building with the cc compiler. I also found a message from David
Lawless reporting a successful build on AIX 4.2.1.0
(http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2003-05/msg02228.html) who suggests to
apply this simple patch:

$ diff gcc-3.2.3/gcc/intl/plural.c.org gcc-3.2.3/gcc/intl/plural.c
176,180d175
< #ifndef __cplusplus
< #ifndef __STDC__
< #define const
< #endif
< #endif

He also said:

--disable-shared    is absolutely necessary
--disable-multilib  unless you have a Regatta or
                    have all eternity to wait

but I don't know whether this still applies (to your environment).

HTH
--
Claudio Bley                                 ASCII ribbon campaign (")
Debian GNU/Linux user                         - against HTML email  X