Re: GCC Target specification syntax

"David A. Braun" <braun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Well! That's pretty extreme! Rejecting MIME content type of Text/html! A
> little paranoid are we?

It has nothing to do with paranoia. It is entirely about wanting to be
    able to understand what you have written.

Many people on this list do not
    have html-capable mail readers. Worse, certain mailers - M$
    OutLook, for example - add arbitrary extensions such as vbscript
    and and activeX to emails, and then misidentfiy them as text/html
    - resulting in an email only they can read. So text/plain is the
    only way to be sure readers of this list can understand questions
    asked of the list.

> At any rate - here is a straight text version of my question (with a
> spelling correction to boot!).

Thank you.

> Folks,
>
> At several points in my scan of the GCC installation documentation there are
> references to target specs such as "i386-redhat-linux" or "alpha*-*-*".
> Looking at the configure script for several packages there seems to be a
> standard syntax for this string. Is this syntax documented anywhere?
[snip]

Rougly, it is <architecture>-<vendor>-<os>[-variant] ; 'i386' is the
    architecture, 'redhat' the vendor, 'linux' the os. Unfortunately I
    can't find an official description of the syntax.