RE: upgrading from gcc-3.2 to newer version on PPC architecture

Michal Schulz wrote:

(just a few quick thoughts - I don't have all the answers here)

> I'm trying to upgrade my gcc-3.2 to gcc-3.2.3 version on PowerPC
> architecture (LFS based Linux distribution). Unfortunatelly make
> bootstrap stops at libgcc because of "internal compiler error".

libgcc is built using the newly compiled stage1 compiler. This means you're
either seeing a new bug in 3.2.3 PPC or your existing 3.2 has miscompiled
stage1. For the former, you could try building 3.3.1 and see if that works.
To try and work around the latter, you could try not optimising the first
stage of the new bootstrap; I'm not sure what the best way to do this is
(CFLAGS="-O0"? Or edit gcc/Makefile before you make bootstrap?)

I think the chances that a stepwise upgrade would help are very slim. We may
be able to give you some more pointers if we know where the internal
compiler error came from; was it a CPU-generated signal or an internal
abort()? If it's an internal abort, you could try reconfiguring
'--enable-checking=misc,tree,rtl' but that would only help diagnose the
problem and not fix it.

Good luck,
Rup.