RE: Looking for a C++ development tool

Frank,

GNUPro was (and perhaps still is) the name of a product distributed and
supported by Cygnus Solutions (later bought by Red Hat) that provided
pre-built and tested versions of the GNU toolchain, along with the
Source Navigator code comprehension tool.

At one of my previous jobs, we purchased the GNUPro toolset in order to
have a supported version of the GNU toolchain with which to build our
software.

Along with the rest of the GNU tools, Source Navigator is (now) an open
source tool.

So is GNUPro nothing more than a CD with all the GNU tools on it?  Well
yes and no.  No, it doesn't provide any additional software (to my
knowledge).  But yes, it is "something more."  It is a pre-configured,
built and tested set of (integrated) software tools.  So you do not have
to worry about downloading, configuring, building and testing the tools
for yourself.  For many people (and especially businesses), there is
value added in such a product.  For many others, it's not a service they
are willing to pay for.

Though you have probably already found it, here is a link to exactly
what GNUPro contains:

   http://www.redhat.com/software/gnupro/technical/detailschart.html

Personally, I have used Source Navigator quite a bit.  I have not yet
found a "better" IDE for my own C++ development on Unix/Linux.  My
definition of "better" is not based on features provided, speed,
integrated-ness or anything measurable.  It is completely subjective and
is based on my own personal development style and the projects on which
I work.

I have tried many IDEs and have always ended up dumping them for one
reason or another.  I may not like the way an IDE manages projects, or I
may not like the editor, or I may not like the way code/symbol
navigation works, or whatever.  I always manage to come back to Source
Navigator, even though it may not do everything exactly as I would want
it to.  For me, it's the best tool for the job, since I haven't yet
found the time to write my own IDE.

As I'm sure you already know, there are many C++ IDEs for Linux, most of
them available at no cost.  Each has its own set of features and quirks,
and every developer will have their own personal favorite.  You should
try out as many as possible and find the one best suited to your
needs/desires.

Other IDEs you may want to investigate:

   - Eclipse (www.eclipse.org): Open-source IDE for Java with
     plug-ins for other languages, such as C++.  I have not used
     it for C++ development (yet), but it absolutely rocks for doing
     Java development.

   - Metrowerks Code Warrior (www.metrowerks.com): Commercial IDE that
     is used in many different industries on many different platforms,
     including Linux.  I have not used it, but I keep meaning to
     evalute it.  It costs $149, $49 if you are looking for an
     academic license.

   - Visual Slick Edit (www.slickedit.com): Commercial text editor
     with an amazing amount of flexibility and power.  It offers many
     of the same features you would find in an IDE.  You can
     download an evaluation copy for Windows and use that for 30
     days.  The Linux version is essentially identical, but they
     do not offer a full-evaluation version.  The license is $269
     per platform.  This is my editor of choice at home, but I do
     not have it at work, so back to Source Navigator and XEmacs
     I went. ;)

I hope this helps you in your search.  Good luck!

---
Tony Wetmore
Raytheon Solipsys
mailto:tony.wetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx