RE: frustrated newbie

Rupert,
Actually, what I am running is MS Services for Unix 3
-- is that Interix 2.2 or 3?  Documentation is sketchy
there.

I tried to build gcc3.3, and ran into a whole other
nest of snakes that will have to be unraveled later.

Oh, and I also installed Cygwin, because, as you said,
it is well supported.  Unfortunately, after spending
the last few months churning thru the Cshell, I
couldn't find a shell in Cygwin that I knew how to
use.  I wish I had time to experiment more!

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions.  I will try that
flag out right away.  Cheers!