Re: static libgcc license?

Hi Adam,

>Unfortunately, considering that libgcc.a is a static library and we're wishing
to link it statically, the distinction between the LGPL and GPL is (I believe)
irrelevant.

The difference (and distinction) between GPL and LGPL is enormous.

LGPL means you can link to the library, or use any of the code or
subroutines, statically or dynamically, in your own code.  And it does NOT
make your code GPL or LGPL.

>Indeed, if libgcc is raw LGPL without the exemptions, then static libgcc
linkage would quite clearly render our application license-infected.

That is incorrect; your application is quite clearly NOT rendered
license-infected.  Please read up on LGPL.  (Your statement/understanding is
180-degrees opposite of the LGPL.)

<http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lesser.html>

Sincerely,
--Eljay