Re: mingw -> linux cross compiler

"Sheryl Canter" <sheryl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I have not been able to find the Linux headers or binaries anywhere on the
> internet--at least not in a form I can access. I found an RPM version, but I
> can't get inside this because I don't have a working Linux system.

You can get into an RPM if you have a working cygwin installation,
though.  For example, with cygwin you should be able to build alien,
and you can use that to convert an RPM into a file which you can read
using tar.  I expect there are other ways as well.  alien can be found
here:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/alien/

> > Also, you need to build the binutils as well as gcc.
>
> I was already able to build the binutils under Windows with Linux as a
> target. I got stuck on the second step in the tool chain--building gcc. This
> requires tweaks to collect2.c that I'm not competent to make.

You don't need collect2, though, unless you are building C++ code with
the -frepo option.  Moreover, if you have a cygwin installation, you
can build collect2.  The message you reference only refers to mingw,
which is a minimal GNU tools implementation for Windows.  cygwin is
nearly complete Unix emulation for Windows, and is able to build
collect2 just fine.

> All in all, I'd starting to think that getting a Linux system is the easier
> approach to my problem (easier than building a cross compiler without a
> Linux system), and I'm now looking into the cheapest and easiest way to do
> this.

I'm sure this is correct.  Note that Linux will run even on old slow
systems, and for your purposes that will be fine; perhaps you can find
somebody who is throwing away a computer, or at least has one which
they no longer use.  I personally can't help you with the other
approaches you mention.

Ian