[ gaim-Support Requests-1608745 ] Problems with Japanese input (kinput2)

Support Requests item #1608745, was opened at 2006-12-04 21:21
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by adi82
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=200235&aid=1608745&group_id=235

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Hello,

I'm using the latest version of gaim, 2.0.0-beta5 which is the most recent version in Debian testing (etch). I frequently chat with Japanese friends using kinput2.

I run kinput2 like:

/usr/bin/kinput2-canna -xim

with

XMODIFIERS=@im=kinput2
GDM_LANG=ja_JP.EUC-JP
LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.EUC-JP.

I can type Japanese text in instant messanges just fine by invoking kinput2 with <Shift>+<Space>. When I start typing Hiragana-text, then hit <Space> to choose from the Kanji-list and then use the arrow-keys to select the proper Kanji, the connection kinput2<->gaim just somehow breaks up. Meaning, that all of a sudden, I can only type regular English input, hitting <Shift>+<Space> won't enable kinput2 anymore. I talk of the "connection" gaim<->kinput2 here, because I can still enable and use kinput2 on any other running application like Firefox.

When I close gaim, then restart it, I can use kinput2 again.

I can prevent this problem when not using the arrow-keys to choose among the Kanjis in kinput2, so gaim seems to somehow interpret the arrow-keys during input.

Sorry for not yielding any further configuration details, but I don't really what to post here, but I can provide all configuration files if requested.

Best Regards,

Adrian