[ gaim-Support Requests-1470946 ] displaying Chinese characters and font-family

Support Requests item #1470946, was opened at 2006-04-15 11:59
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by gokli
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=200235&aid=1470946&group_id=235

not just the latest update.
Category: win32
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Dear all:

I am currently testing out Gaim/2.0b3 on Windows XP,
using the supplied gtk 2.6.8x.

I encounter a strange problem of not able to see
Chinese characters in MSN *SOMETIMES*, mostly depend
upon who am I talking to.   This occurs in both
Traditional and Simplified Chinese.

So, I created a separate MSN account and start
messenging myself using Web MSN Messenger.  One of the
interesting feature of Microsoft's Web MSN client is
that you can choose 4 different font-family:  Arial,
Times, Courier, Tahoma, Verdana.

As I suspected, Chinese fonts only successfully
displayed when "Times" and "Tahoma" is used (see
attached screen capture file).

I suspect that I need to specify font substitution
behavior. Tried to resolve this problem,  I have
created a local.conf in
C:\Program Files\Common Files\GTK\2.0\etc\fonts
directory (see below).  But it's not working.

Any  idea what goes wrong?

Thanks in advance

kngharv
ps.  I know this is more of a GTK question than a GAIM
question.  any pointers on GTK for Win32 would be very
appreciated.

pss.  my local.conf, located at
C:\Program Files\Common Files\GTK\2.0\etc\fonts\local.conf

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<fontconfig>
	<dir>WINDOWSFONTDIR</dir>

	<dir>c:/windows/fonts</dir>

<!--
  Alias well known font names to available TrueType fonts
-->
	<alias>
		<family>Times</family>
	</alias>
	<alias>
		<family>Helvetica</family>
	</alias>
	<alias>
		<family>Arial</family>
	</alias>
	<alias>
		<family>Courier</family>
	</alias>

<!--
  Serif faces
 -->
	<alias>
		<family>Bitstream Vera Serif</family>
		<family>Times</family>
		<family>Times New Roman</family>
		<family>Nimbus Roman No9 L</family>
		<family>Luxi Serif</family>
		<family>Kochi Mincho</family>
		<family>FZZhongDengXian-Z07T</family>
		<family>AR PL Mingti2L Big5</family>
		<family>Baekmuk Batang</family>
	</alias>
<!--
  Sans-serif faces
 -->
	<alias>
		<family>Bitstream Vera Sans</family>
		<family>Helvetica</family>
		<family>Arial</family>
		<family>Verdana</family>
		<family>Nimbus Sans L</family>
		<family>Luxi Sans</family>
		<family>Kochi Gothic</family>
		<family>FZZhongDengXian-Z07T</family>
		<family>AR PL KaitiM Big5</family>
		<family>Baekmuk Dotum</family>
		<family>SimSun</family>
	</alias>
<!--
  Monospace faces
 -->
 	<alias>
		<family>Bitstream Vera Sans Mono</family>
		<family>Courier</family>
		<family>Courier New</family>
		<family>Andale Mono</family>
		<family>Luxi Mono</family>
		<family>Nimbus Mono L</family>
		<family>NSimSun</family>
	</alias>
<!--
  Provide required aliases for standard names
-->
	<alias>
		<family>serif</family>
		<prefer>
			<family>Bitstream Vera Serif</family>
			<family>Times New Roman</family>
			<family>Nimbus Roman No9 L</family>
			<family>Luxi Serif</family>
			<family>Times</family>
			<family>Kochi Mincho</family>
			<family>FZZhongDengXian-Z07T</family>
			<family>AR PL Mingti2L Big5</family>
			<family>Baekmuk Batang</family>
		</prefer>
	</alias>
	<alias>
		<family>sans-serif</family>
		<prefer>
			<family>Bitstream Vera Sans</family>
			<family>Verdana</family>
			<family>Nimbus Sans L</family>
			<family>Luxi Sans</family>
			<family>Arial</family>
			<family>Helvetica</family>
			<family>Kochi Gothic</family>
			<family>FZZhongDengXian-Z07T</family>
			<family>AR PL KaitiM Big5</family>
			<family>Baekmuk Dotum</family>
			<family>SimSun</family>
		</prefer>
	</alias>
	<alias>
		<family>monospace</family>
		<prefer>
			<family>Bitstream Vera Sans Mono</family>
			<family>Andale Mono</family>
			<family>Courier New</family>
			<family>Luxi Mono</family>
			<family>Nimbus Mono L</family>