[ gaim-Support Requests-1544724 ] No SOCKS connection using SSH

Support Requests item #1544724, was opened at 2006-08-22 11:29
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by tjerrell
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=200235&aid=1544724&group_id=235

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
I am running Putty to set up an SSH tunnel using
dynamic port forwarding.  I can not connect to any chat
servers with Gaim and the SOCKS proxy setting.  I can
test the tunnel with the official MSN client configured
to use a SOCKS proxy and it connects fine.

Here is what Gaim reports (user ids anonymized):

prefs: Finished reading C:\Documents and
Settings\userid\Application Data\.gaim\prefs.xml
plugins: Loading saved plugin C:\Program
Files\Gaim\plugins\ssl-nss.dll
plugins: Loading saved plugin C:\Program
Files\Gaim\plugins\ssl.dll
pounce: Error reading pounces: Failed to open file 'C:
\Documents and Settings\userid\Application Data\.
gaim\pounces.xml': No such file or directory
account: Connecting to account test@xxxxxxxxxxx
connection: Connecting. gc = 02968438
msn: new httpconn (0293BAC8)
dns: DNS Lookup for: localhost
socks5 proxy: Connecting to messenger.hotmail.com:1863
via localhost:8080 using SOCKS5
socks5 proxy: Connect would have blocked.
socks5 proxy: Connected.
msn: Connection error from Notification server
(messenger.hotmail.com): Unable to connect
account: Disconnecting account 013DEF40
connection: Disconnecting connection 02968438
msn: destroy httpconn (0293BAC8)
connection: Destroying connection 02968438

Any ideas?

I have Gaim 2.0.0 beta 3.1 debug on Windows 2000.

>Comment By: AtomicDog (tjerrell)
Actually, I turned on SSH logging and it does not appear
that Gaim is connecting to the local proxy correctly.  I
tried using both localhost and 127.0.0.1.