Re: RFC: don't fail tests when mkfs options collide

On Tue, Jul 23, 2024 at 10:17:24AM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> > an allocation group (or block group in extN terms) to a specific size
> > and then want a log that is larger than that, changing the AG size
> > is generally a bad idea, and a clear warning to the user is simply the
> > better interface.
>
> Is it just "a bad idea", or "it won't work"?

Changing the AG size could work (assuming the file system size is
big enough, beause if it's not it obviously can't).

> I can imagine that
> sometimes we want to have tests that do things that are generally a
> bad idea, but it's the best way to force a particular corner case to
> happen without having to run the test gazillions of times?

If the test is written under the assumption of an AG size or number
of AGs, the expected output will change.  So maybe the could would
run, sorta.  But it would test something else and the test would
always fail.

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Filesystems Development]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]