Re: fsgqa group membership?

On Sun, Jan 14, 2024 at 09:48:53PM +0100, Richard Weinberger wrote:
> Zorro,
>
> ----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----
> >> It turned out that the test failed because the user "fsgqa" did not have the
> >> "fsgqa" group assigned.
> >> After rectifying this, the test passed successfully.
> >
> > OK, so you've found out why it's failed :)
>
> Yeah, but took me more time than it should. ;-)
>

> >> But it is nowhere stated that this has to be that way.
> >>
> >> README says only:
> >> 6. (optional) Create fsgqa test users and groups:
> >>
> >>    $ sudo useradd -m fsgqa
> >>    $ sudo useradd 123456-fsgqa
> >>    $ sudo useradd fsgqa2
> >>    $ sudo groupadd fsgqa
> >>
> >> Just in case, users fsgqa and fsgqa2 want the groups fsgqa/fsgqa2 as their
> >> primary groups
> >> to have all tests work as expected?
> >
> > Actually above steps aren't exact enough. It depends on a default behavior
> > of useradd command -- "By default, a group will also be created for the
> > new user" (from `man useradd`)
> >
> > And according to the manual:
> >
> >       -g, --gid GROUP
> >           The name or the number of the user's primary group. The group name must exist. A
> >           group number must refer to an already existing group.
> >
> >           If not specified, the behavior of useradd will depend on the USERGROUPS_ENAB
> >           variable in /etc/login.defs. If this variable is set to yes (or -U/--user-group
> >           is specified on
> >           the command line), a group will be created for the user, with the same name as
> >           her loginname. If the variable is set to no (or -N/--no-user-group is specified
> >           on the command
> >           line), useradd will set the primary group of the new user to the value specified
> >           by the GROUP variable in /etc/default/useradd, or 1000 by default.
> >
> > You said "After migrating to a new test environment", I don't know what's
> > your new test env. Maybe your USERGROUPS_ENAB isn't set to yes by default,
> > or your useradd has an alias "useradd -N", or any other reasons.
>
> SUSE Linux has traditionally not set USERGROUPS_ENAB, this explains the issue.
> The old setup was not SUSE based.

Thanks for this information!

> > Anyway if you hope to make sure each fsgqa users is assigned to their
> > own group, how about:
> >
> > $ groupadd fsgqa
> > $ useradd -m -g fsgqa fsgqa
> > $ groupadd fsgqa2
> > $ useradd -g fsgqa2 fsgqa2
> > $ groupadd 123456-fsgqa
> > $ useradd -g 123456-fsgqa 123456-fsgqa
>
> Sounds good! It is verbose but that way everybody will know and it will work
> on "strange" systems too.

I'll send a patch to change that. Or you can do that too if you'd like, and feel
free to tell us if you find more fstests' issues.

Thanks,
Zorro

> Thanks,
> //richard

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Filesystems Development]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]