Re: xfstests failures

On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 08:45:24AM +0200, Amir Goldstein wrote:
> [...]
> >> I've noticed that these tests fails under what I think is a normal
> >> config (BRD of 48G). We have an expectation that for simple configs all
> >> tests in the 'auto' group should pass, and these ones don't. Are these
> >
> > No, 'auto' group doesn't mean the test should pass, we do add tests
> > that're known to fail to auto group, but with the expectation that the
> > failures will be fixed in the near future.
> >
> >> false positive failures?  If so, what do we need to do to remove these
> >> false positives?  a) fix the tests to handle these cases b) remove the
> >
> > And some tests do fail on unusual configs/setups, e.g. 2M extent setting
> > in your case, and some tests may not work well with 4k-sector disks.
> > We'd want to fix the tests but sometimes it's hard to make test work
> > with all configs, perhahs it's just not worth it if the config is
> > strange enough and no one cares about it.. But I do like to see the easy
> > ones get fixed.
> >
> >> tests from the 'auto' group?  Something else? Attached file with test
> >> outputs. I think some if not all of these failures have lasted many
> >> kernel versions.
> >>
> >> # xfs
> >> generic/009
> >> generic/012
> >> generic/016
> >> generic/021
> >> generic/022
> >> generic/058
> >> generic/060
> >> generic/061
> >> generic/063
> >> generic/092
> >> generic/255
> >> xfs/167
> >> xfs/191-input-validation
> >
> > This tests mkfs.xfs behavior and AFAIK it fails after Dave's mkfs
> > refactor patchset, the test itself requires some fixes.
> >
> >> xfs/242
> >> xfs/252
> >> xfs/432
> >>
> >> # ext4
> >> generic/388
> >
> > This is a known issue on ext4, there's a discussion thread on ext4 list.
> > https://marc.info/?l=linux-ext4&m=151629719004002&w=2
> >

> Eryu,
>
> This short thread has shown how much the information about failing tests is
> not documented. And that the information is stored only in our
> collective brain hive.
>
> For example, how many people out there are able to dig through the
> list the find out
> the following information about overlay test failures:
> 016 - long standing known issue - time for a fix unknown
> 041,42,43 - known issue - resolved by RFC "xino" patches -
>                    time for merge unknown
> 049 - mainline issue - resolved by today's overlayfs-next merge
> 054,55 - new failing tests with today's mainline - fix patch posted
>
> I know even you did not have the correct information about 017
> and thought it should have been failing...
>
> How about maintaining an "expunge" format file with all failing test in
> the repository with comment like the above?

I'm fine with providing a mechanism to let fstests know which tests are
known failures, like what Andreas just proposed just 3 days ago

check: Add -F option to specify failing tests
https://www.spinics.net/lists/fstests/msg08901.html

> We could have 2 files, one for long standing issues like 016,041,042,043
> and one for temporary failures, like 054,055
>
> We can debate whether long standing issues should be in auto or not,
> but it doesn't hurt to mark them with some group (e.g. "known") that will
> point users at the expunge.known file for a reason and for easy way to
> exclude those tests.

But I agreed with Dave[1] here that we should not maintain known
failures in fstests itself, because the list can vary based on testers'
configurations and hardware/software environments. I think the list
should be maintained by testers according to their test configs and
environments.

I know Dave and Josef discussed the idea of making perf results public
somewhere online in your "[LSF/MM TOPIC] Filesystem performance
regression tests" thread[2]. Perhaps each filesystem maintainer could
public their "official" results there too when the infrastructure is
available?

Thanks,
Eryu

[1] https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/8077361/