Re: xfstests: generic/342 run failed in f2fs

On 12/28/17 1:09 AM, Dave Chinner wrote:

> There's a whole lot more detail in the kernel commit 2be63d5ce929
> ("Btrfs: fix file loss on log replay after renaming a file and
> fsync") but my point is that we considered this a btrfs filesystem
> bug and so changing the test defeats it's purpose as a regression
> test for the btrfs bug.
>
> So IMO the test should not be changed. And I think we should be
> consistent and consider this f2fs failure as a f2fs bug that needs
> fixing to bring it's behaviour in line with xfs, ext4, and btrfs.
>
> Remember this when quoting POSIX about fsync behaviour: Posix is a
> terrible standard when it comes to data integrity. We go way, way
> beyond what POSIX specifies as a valid fsync implementation (i.e.
> posix allows "do nothing and return success" as a conformant
> implementation). Ext4, XFS and btrfs all have strictly ordered
> metadata crash recovery semantics and all of the crash recovery
> tests expect this behaviour from the filesytem being tested. The
> underlying intention is that by encoding it into these tests, all
> widely used and future linux filesystems meet or exceed this crash
> integrity requirement.
>
> IOWs, changing the test is the wrong thing to do on many levels....
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dave.

Thanks for digging into the btrfs commit which changed the behavior
tested by this testcase, I had meant to do that.

Yeah, that's all fair, for sure.  But this shouldn't be implicit in the
testcase; it should explicitly document that it is testing a de-facto
new standard adhered to by several filesystems, what that standard is,
etc, and not leave it to the reader.  ;)

If a filesystem explicitly chooses not to adhere to that standard they
/could/ opt out of the test.

It's makes a lot of sense for linux filesystems to behave in consistent
ways, but if we're going to start enforcing that through xfstests we
need to be very clear about it, IMHO.

-Eric