TEST_DEV

I'm bringing up a prototype file system under fuse, and I'm new to
xfstests but trying to use it.  My questions are noob-ish (in xfstest
context), and I'm happy to rtfm.

My current fuse fs has xfs has a backing file system, plus some
features that don't come from xfs (backing could just as well be ext4,
but I don't want fstests to white-box test it as something it's not).

When I set TEST_DEV=/dev/vdb (where xfs is), many tests run; but can
xfstests run with no TEST_DEV, or a TEST_DEV that points to something
that it doesn't recognize (and isn't in /proc/mounts)?

I want to test my file system as a black box, for correct behavior.
Can I do that? (regardless of whether TEST_DEV is involved.)

Any tips or pointers appreciated.

Thanks,
John Groves