Re: Is is possible to submit binary image as fstest test case?

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 10:56:12AM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 07, 2016 at 06:05:51PM +0200, David Sterba wrote:
> > >
> > > Preferably not. We've managed to avoid pre-built images in xfstests
> > > for 15 years, so there'd have to be a really good reason to start
> > > doing this, especially as once we open that floodgate we'll end up
> > > with everyone wanting to do this and it will blow out the size of
> > > the repository in now time.
> > >
> > > If the issue is just timing or being unable to trigger an error
> > > at the right time, this is what error injection frameworks or
> > > debug-only sysfs hooks are for. The XFS kernel code has both,
> > > xfstests use both, and they pretty much do away with the need for
> > > custom binary filesystem images for such testing...
> >
> > Error injection framework may not be alwasy available, eg. in kernels
> > built for production. Yet I'd like to make the test possible.
>
> Why would you ever enable error injection on a production kernel?

That's not what I mean. Let me rephrase. If the test needs the injection
infrastructue it can't be run with production build. A crafted image can
reproduce that.

> We simply don't run the error injection tests when the
> infrastructure is not there, jsut like we do with all other tests
> that are depenent on optional kernel/fs features....

I think this depends on the test and the bug class it's supposed to hit.
The images need some determinism, eg. a traversal of structures, or
existence (or not) of some state, or error handling.

> > Also, I find it useful to keep the exact images that are attached to a
> > report and not necessarily try to recreate it to trigger a bug. If the
> > images are small, hosting them with the sources makes testing easy.
> > Big images would probably go to own repository and be linked.
> >
> > I don't really expect fstests to store crafted images and would advise
> > Qu to not even try to propose that, because the answer was quite
> > predictable.
>
> You say that like it's a bad thing?

>From the POV of fstests, it won't work, possibly in some very limited
number of tests. As it's a multi-filesystem project, this won't scale.
You said that earlier and I consider this obvious.

What we can do for fstests, configure an external path with filesystem
images and let tests use it for any purpose. In btrfs-progs we eg. don't
have mount tests of the fuzzed images, but I would like to make it more
accessible for wider testing. In a way that's acceptable for fstests.

> What's the guarantee that a
> specific corrupt image will always be sufficient to trigger the
> problem the test is supposed to check? i.e. we could change a
> different part of the FS code and that could mask the bug the image
> used to trigger. The test then passes, but we haven't actually fix
> the bug that the test used to exercise. i.e. we've got a false "we
> fixed the problem" report, when all we did is prevent a specific
> vector from tripping over it.

Again, I think this depends. I can't be sure the image will always
trigger the bug that was there originally. I've seen that some fuzzed
images required to add early checks that in some cases did not reach the
original point of failure in other images. As long as the test
assumptions are met, the test will not give false sense of fixing. In
case of the fuzzed images, one may not cover all the assumptions, but I
take them more like statistical proof that we don't have new bugs. And
it's convenient to have the images at hand.

> Error injection and sysfs hooks into debug code are much more
> reliable ways of testing that the root cause of a problem is fixed
> and stays fixed.  The reproducing trigger cannot be masked by
> changes in other code layers, so we know that if the error
> injection/sysfs hook test handles the problem correctly, we have
> actually fixed the underlying bug and not just masked it...

Agreed. This applies to the example that Qu asked about, as balance
modifies a global filesystem state, a single image won't cover many
variants of structures (with snapshots, optional mkfs features). The
injection framework will give better testing coverage.