Re: Problem building xfsprogs

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 05:51:51PM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 11:06:41AM -0500, scameron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to build xfsprogs (in order to run xfstests), and I'm running into this:
>
> What distribution are you building on?

RHEL 6 update 5 on x86_64, which I would think is not considered
to be anything exotic.

[relliott@msablackburn include]$ cat /etc/*-release
LSB_VERSION=base-4.0-amd64:base-4.0-noarch:core-4.0-amd64:core-4.0-noarch:graphics-4.0-amd64:graphics-4.0-noarch:printing-4.0-amd64:printing-4.0-noarch
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.5 (Santiago)
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.5 (Santiago)
[relliott@msablackburn include]$

But, I am not running the usual kernel, but this one

	git://git.infradead.org/users/hch/scsi.git

from this branch:

	remotes/origin/scsi-mq.4

with a ton of patches to the hpsa driver (not that xfsprogs should care about that.).

> I had a frustrating enough
> time getting it to build on Ubuntu and Debian systems a while back
> (not xfstests' fault; sometimes the distro doesn't ship all of the
> header files or have recent enough libraries) that I created
> xfstests-bld which does a hermetic build of xfstests.  That way, it
> doesn't depend on anything getting shipped by the distribution.
>
> It's also useful if you are running in a very restrictive run-time
> environment, such as what you might find in a highly opimized cloud
> data center, and you can't depend on any shared libraries, etc.  Or if
> you need to do a build for an embedded platform where again, you can't
> depend on anything getting provided by the distribution.
>
> Anyway, give it a try and see if it helps,
>
> 	git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/fs/ext2/xfstests-bld.git
>
> If you have any problems, let me know!

Thanks.  If other avenues don't work out it is something to try.

-- steve