Re: editing FcConfig in code

On 4/12/23 08:45, Akira TAGOH wrote:
First of all, Please note that "Regular" style is default style
though, most applications request *Regular weight* instead of style
name. So the correct command to represent a request is `fc-match
"Amber Whiskey:weight=regular".
Based on that, let's see what happened.

AmberWhiskey-Aged.otf has two family names. one is "Amber Whiskey" and
one is "Amber Whiskey Aged". And, weight is set to 80 which is the
same as FC_WEIGHT_REGULAR. So the behavior itself isn't wrong.

Second, I don't recommend using the above config because that will
break non-Regular selection. I didn't test but this may works instead:

<match>
   <test name="family">
     <string>Amber Whiskey</string>
   </test>
   <test name="weight">
     <const>regular</const>
   </test>
   <test qual="all" name="style" compare="eq">
     <string></string>
   </test>
   <edit name="style">
     <string>Regular</string>
   </edit>
</match>

This will add Regular to style property only when weight is set to
"regular" and no styles is set. you can still pick up the aged variant
with "Amber Whiskey:style=Aged".

If you don't want to see the aged variant as a part of "Amber
Whiskey", things would be much simpler. you may have another
workaround like this:

<match target="scan">
   <test name="family">
     <string>Amber Whiskey</string>
   </test>
   <test name="family">
     <string>Amber Whiskey Aged</string>
   </test>
   <edit name="family" mode="delete" />
</match>

This will modify the fontconfig cache. AmberWhiskey-Aged.otf is then
represented as "Amber Whiskey Aged" only.

For your original question, if there are any reasons you can't put
something into a config file, you can use
FcConfigParseAndLoadFromMemory() function as said in other mail.
otherwise you can create your own config for a workaround and put it
into $HOME/.config/fontconfig or something like that.

Hope that helps,