Adding a font directory scanned non-recursively

Hi,

Is there a way to do something like FcConfigAppFontAddDir, but only looking
for font files in the directory itself, not recursing into subdirectories?

For background, LilyPond, which uses Fontconfig to search for fonts, has its
own include path for LilyPond files. Since there is tooling (IDE) support built
around that, it would be nice to make LilyPond search for fonts in that path.
I tried adding all the directories it contains with FcConfigAppFontAddDir,
and it kind of works, but then, if I run LilyPond in, say, my home folder,
it hangs, because it's scanning the tens of thousands of directories inside for
font files...

Thanks,

Jean