FcConfigEnableHome results in a lot of error messages

Calling FcConfigEnableHome outputs a lot of error messages.

Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories

Is printed repeatedly.

This wasn't the case previously, I'm wondering if this is a regression and I should file a report or if this might be caused by misuse on my part?

Is there something I can do to prevent this?

It does not appear to cause any actual problems for the application, as far as I can tell anyway, and the application is typically not launched from a terminal so most users are unlikely to even notice but I would still like to prevent this if at all possible.