help with figuring out the docs

Given that state hasn't really improved in the last decade and what
little can be found are just small snippets someone managed to figure
out and people just copy-paste since, I've got a question or two, that
likely can only be answered here.

First, a side note: the manpage says <alias> element is kind-of a
shorthand, but never elaborates what is it shorthand for.

Yet, that's not really my question.

It's: if I have a font of the system, that I want to be accessible only
by explicit family call, but not present in generic families (serif,
sans-serif, monospace), how do I express it in the config syntax ?

The way I understand that manpage, <rejectfont> entry would make it
inaccessible even by explicit calls. <alias> is for adding, not
removing. Most available snippets are about replacing.

It would seem, that puting a <match> on generic family with a delete
edit on the specific font name could work, but it's by no means clear.
Also, I'd prefer a blanket rejection, not repeating it for each.

Basically, what I'm saying is: likely, the existing fontconfig
documentation is is likely comprehensible and complete...
for people working with and understanding its source code.
Outside that group, it doesn't seem to be the case and cargo-culting
rules supreme...
Which isn't all that bad, unless you're trying to do something not
covered by common snippets. Then you're out of luck.

PS: CC me with the replies.