Re: Don't do font fallback for PUA chars?

On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 10:19 PM, Akira TAGOH <akira@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
sounds good to me though, not sure if there are any apps relying on
this behavior to look up PUA coverage on a font.

Hummm.  You're right.  The only way would be to NOT include them in charset.
But I guess that would mean not rendering any PUA chars in Pango then.

so if ignoring it on
FcFontSort() works enough for Chrome, that may be safer way.

Thinking about it, ignoring in FcFontSort() might help but is not sufficient.  Clients still should know now to go look for fallback for PUA chars, which Chrome does now, and doesn't need any fontconfig changes.  Yeah, maybe this is a nonissue for fontconfig.

On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 2:44 AM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Triggered by a Chrome bug:
>
>   https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/chromium/src/+/829378
>
> Since PUA has no meaning outside of a specified font, I think we should
> exclude that range from either a font's charset, or ignore it during
> FcFontSort().
>
> Thoughts?
>
> --
> behdad