Re: Variable fonts redux

On Sep 18, 2017 3:01 PM, "Behdad Esfahbod" <behdad@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yes and no.  Non-variable fonts and named-instances of variable fonts continue to work as before.  Variable-font patterns will get weight and width as ranges instead of double, and old clients will fail fetching width/weight.

Nice.

I was afraid it would mean they just fail outright. But this is good. :-)

Also, does this mean that a font such as Voto Serif GX will list 500 different variations in a font selector dialog?

Yes.

Oh, not so good...

Doubt fonts with large amounts of variations are going to be popular with users of that's the case.

However, for my use case I can see a workaround to this, I think.

Thanks!