Re: Fontconfig Digest, Vol 145, Issue 2

> Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2017 20:45:08 +1200
> From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: fontconfig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [Fontconfig] Two questions for too many fonts and
>         Fontypython
>
> On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 10:26:05 +0200, Donn Ingle wrote:
>
> > I don't suppose this is a fontconfig problem, per se, but more one
> > for the gui people in GTK-etc-land.

> Apps can certainly use Fontconfig to help with this, by creating
> user-controlled configuration objects that only include fonts from
> specified paths.

I'd like to know more about this process.
1. Does it have to be each individual app developer who volunteers to do this? i.e. is it baked-into the code?
2. Can it be a general script/app that pre-manages fonts according to what software you are about to run?
(For e.g. I know I'm gonna be designing, so Gimp/Inkscape/Scribus are in my near future. I can wave my wand and say "Font-o-noisia-vanescere!" and — Poof! — a sane environment. I can then use whatever font manager to prepare specific fonts I want installed and start working.
It's not that I want to micro-manage fonts per application really. That would suck. I simply want a quieter, shorter list of them for certain kinds of work.)

> ~/.fonts is deprecated (do your bit to help reduce dotfile clutter!),
> you should use ~/.local/share/fonts instead.

I will begin to alter my assumptions in code right away. Is this correct?

https://specifications.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html

There's a fairly tricksy cascade of if/thens in the "Environment variables" section concerning $XDG_* variables. Is that the recipe I should follow?

Thanks,
/d