Re: Some things should not be configured through files like fonts.conf

Wolfgang Draxinger wrote:
[...]

The above setup is a reality for me and the quite unsatisfying
"solution" is to either disable antialiasing on all machines or use
grayscale everywhere.

For some time you could use the X resource database to configure the
font rasterization options; but AFAIK those have been removed. At least

Although my advice is to just configure grayscale AA everywhere (tablet OSes tend to prefer it exactly for the reasons you mentioned), it should be no problem for you (or your users) to either

(1) script something that adjusts fonts.conf dynamically depending on your needs (changes are picked up automatically after the rescan delay). Maybe someday some distribution or clever g-s-d config comes up with this too, but until then, I suppose you'd have to write it yourself...

(2) refrain from configuring AA with fontconfig and rely on XSETTINGS (not XRDB!). I think that's what the GNOME panel uses, too. See e. g. 'dump_xsettings|grep RGBA'. The advantage is that it's exported along with the display. It can't apply per-font configuration, but can serve as default for further fontconfig adjustment.

Raimund

--
Worringer Str 31 Duesseldorf 40211 DE  home: <rs@xxxxxxxx>
+49-179-2981632 icq 16845346           work: <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>