Courier New overrides monospace

Hi everyone,

There's a locale-specific behavior that I find confusing. By default, as is defined in /etc/fonts/conf.d/60-latin.conf, the monospace font is matched from a list of "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono; DejaVu Sans Mono; [...] ; Courier New; [...]". On my system, I have Bitstream Vera Sans Mono installed so normally, "monospace" resolves to it. The problem is, in some locales (vi_VN in my case), Courier New overrides the default list to become "monospace". It's purplexing that I cannot find any references that can explain this in /etc/fonts/conf.d.

With a simple bash script, I've generated a list of all monospace font per locale here: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5874585/

Is this a bug or a feature? If this is a feature, how can I turn it off since Courier New is a horrible font on Linux.

I'm using Debian Unstable and fontconfig version 2.9.0-7.1

Cheers.