Re: Prgname and font-features?

Hi Behdad,

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 7:31 AM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I just pushed a change to Pango that allows one to enable OpenType font
features through fontconfig configs.  For example:

<match target="font">
  <edit name="pangofontfeatures" mode="append">
    <string>smcp</string>
    <string>ss20</string>
  </edit>
</match>

But I figured this is probably of interest to more than just Pango.  Shall we
upstream this?

Thanks. yes. I was working on it and have a somewhat incomplete patch to Pango too, including pango markup support. it a bit got stuck because there are two issues I should address and didn't have a time to do:

 1) whether or not we should validate the given feature tag in config. it may be relevant to what you questioned at GNOME bug in other mail. on other hand, do we want to make another deps in fontconfig, i.e. harfbuzz for this purpose? otherwise what we can do for this is to add the object type for this and I've already done that in my repo:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~tagoh/fontconfig/commit/?h=bz50497

 2) This isn't really a fontconfig side but needed further work to allow to have multiple PangoAttribute at same time. if it's useful, I can send a patch to you. anyway, just to share my efforts, I have screenshots for that see attached. one is a comparison for jp04 vs jp90 feature tag. another one is partly applying the trad feature tag.

 Another element type I have in Pango that may be worth upstreaming is
"pangoprgname", which pango sets to the output of g_get_prgname().  If you are
running gedit, it expands to gedit.  It's useful for doing per-app
configuration.  Any interest in upstreaming that?

Yeah, when that discussion was brought up here, I thought it would be useful if we can have similar thing in fontconfig. so users can manage the app-specific rules in config without modifying any code in apps.

Of course upstreaming these is only the first part.  One has to go chase all
fontconfig users to actually respect these.  But to me, I'm really interested
in enabling features and implement them correctly in the font stack I
maintain, and let others pick it up for their favorite system.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

Akira TAGOH