Re: FreeType now includes Infinality subpixel support

On 06/20/2012 03:34 PM, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
On 06/20/2012 04:30 PM, Infinality wrote:
Ah... there is another option I didn't show, which will certainly prevent
fringing.  You could call it "Grayscale Cleartype".  Some might not like it
because it's not as sharp though.
Thanks Eric.  My feeling is that some gamma correction applied to this one
would actually make it look pretty decent.

behdad

Agreed, and something else that can dramatically reduce the subpixel fringing is by changing the FIR filter values in the Freetype LCD filter. There is a setting in my other freetype patch to do that.

Freetype Default     "06 25 44 25 06"
Stronger Gibson      "11 22 38 22 11"

I use the second one for exactly the same reason... I hate fringing. The second FIR value reduces the fringes to the point where I don't notice them at all.

Thanks,
Erik