Inconsolata/monospace font emboldening

Hi everybody,

I am having some problems with Inconsolata emboldening (and with any
other monospace font that doesn't have a native bold variant)

The problem is that emboldening works fine in applications like
gnome-terminal or x-chat (all characters have the same width), but not
in others gEdit, Eclipse (bold characters have bigger widths).

To show what I am talking about you can look at this screenshot:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/inconsolata.png/

Could you tell me if there is a way to make gEdit and Eclipse render
embolden fonts like gnome-terminal?

Thanks,
Fabio