Re: RFC: Substitution for Lucida fonts

Hi,

On 2012-01-10 23:02, Matthieu Herrb wrote:
it was recently brought to my attention that some web sites, like
xkcd.com request Lucida fonts by default, and on Linux and *BSD
systems get the more or less ugly X bitmapped fonts.

Wouldn't it be more common to simply disable bitmap fonts altogether for people who don't like them? I mean, using <rejectfont> to remove non-scalable fonts? This is normally something the user chooses when their distribution configures the fontconfig installation.

Still, I would dare say that any website that specifically uses the name "Lucida" (such as xkcd) aims at getting the bitmap variant, given that spelling isn't really used for any scalable Lucida variant I know of. Unconditionally rewriting that seems a bit radical.

I personally prefer 75dpi PCF Lucida over the anti-aliased variants any day (especially in my editor, which naturally also uses fontconfig), but then again, I'm on Solaris where the Lucida Sans* fonts are available as TTF, and I'm already used to having a hard time getting my bitmap Lucida...

Raimund

--
Worringer Str 31 Duesseldorf 40211 Germany +49-179-2981632 icq 16845346