fontconfig not recognizing Luxi Mono as monospace

One of the fonts X.Org distributes is "Luxi Mono", aka luximr.ttf
from either:
  http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/font/bh-ttf/tree/
or:
  http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/individual/font/font-bh-ttf-1.0.1.tar.bz2

One of our users complained that he couldn't get xterm to accept this
font with:  xterm -fa "LuxiMono-10" - it always chose the bold version
instead of the regular, since xterm specifies that it needs a monospaced
font, but fontconfig thinks only the bold font is monospaced and the
roman version is not.

>From digging around, it seems like there's a glyph with an advance width
of 0 in luximr.ttf that fontconfig doesn't expect in this font which is
confusing it, and making it classify it as not monospaced.

Is this a bug in fontconfig's monospace recognition or a bug in the font?

Unfortuantely, due to the license on this font, we can't change the
glyphs in the font, but if that's where the problem lies, we could modify
the X.Org tarball to also install a fontconfig workaround such as:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
  <match target="scan">
        <test name="family">
                <string>Luxi Mono</string>
        </test>
  </match>
</fontconfig>

It seems we're not the first to have hit this, but it doesn't look like
anyone got farther than suggesting a single-user workaround instead of
a fix to either the font package or fontconfig:
  http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/fontconfig/2006-November/thread.html

--
	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith@xxxxxxxxxx