Marking glyphs as deliberately blank, per font

I have been attempting to create some fonts that reproduce the look of old
text terminals. One of the features of terminals like the VT100 was
double-height, double-width mode on certain lines. In order to do this, I
have created two fonts, one for the upper half of characters, and one for
the bottom half. However, for characters where all the marks would appear
in just one half of the glyph, say quote marks or the underscore, I am
left with blank glyphs in places where fontconfig doesn't expect them, and
those glyphs are marked as broken by fontconfig, and substituted.

>From my reading of the fonts.conf page, I think that the <blank> element
is a global configuration, and I don't believe I can say for a given font,
"these glyphs are intentionally blank", which leaves me with these two
questions:

1. Is my understanding correct, that I can't override <blank> per font?

2. The fonts.conf page says that 'fonts often include "broken" glyphs which
   appear in the encoding but are drawn as blanks on the screen.' A trawl of
   the mailing list suggests that this configuration option is ancient -- at
   least I can't find any discussion of its introduction -- so is this form
   of breakage common in fonts we use today?

I am aware that I'm attempting to do something rather odd here, so I think
I'll have to do my own substituting with spaces when producing "screen
shots" of these old terminal displays, but I wanted to check my
understanding of fontconfig's blank mechanism.