style preference in config

I've run into a bit of a problem with Fontconfig. I first noticed this while using firefox. Some web pages' <pre> blocks would get rendered garbled. I tracked this down to a simplified test case using pango-view:

$ pango-view --font="Fixed" /etc/passwd
# See garbled cruft in the view (see attached)

PNG image

I think the main issue here is the fontconfig match problem:
$ fc-match Fixed
12x13ja.pcf.gz: "Fixed" "ja"

If I explicitly ask for the "Regular" style, I get an expected render:
$ fc-match Fixed:style=Regular
7x13.pcf.gz: "Fixed" "Regular"

$ pango-view --font="Fixed:Style=Regular" /etc/passwd
# See an expected render

It looks like we need some logic in the config file to prefer style=Regular if no style is designated. Am I correct in that assumption? If so, how do I do that? If not, does anyone know what's going wrong here?

Thanks,
Jeremy