Installing BDF fonts using fc-cache

Dear experts,
I would like to install some TTF and BDF fonts and use them in my GTK
applications (using DirectFB).

I was successful with installation of TTF fonts. I ran `fc-cache' on the
folder containing TTF fonts and the corresponding cache file got created.
But the same procedure failed in the case of BDF fonts:
dheeraj@linux:> ./fc-cache -vf ~/fonts/
./fc-cache: "/home/dheeraj/fonts": caching, 0 fonts, 0 dirs

I get the same result even after converting the font to PCF using
`bdftopcf'. Any inputs are appreciated.

Cheers,
Dheeraj