merging fc-2_4_branch to master

I merged the fc-2_4_branch into master; you would have seen a posting
here except that git appends a lovely patch to such merges, and with
nearly 3 meg of diff, mailman sensibly rejected it.

I also created a 2.3-branch tag in case we need to go create another 2.3
point release, which would only be for security issues in distributions
shipping 2.3.2.

--
keith.packard@xxxxxxxxx