Font cache simplification

I was just thinking this morning that we now have an overly complicated
cache system with multiple directories to hold system-wide caches and a
separate per-user cache mechanism. When cache files could only be stored
in directories, the per-user ~/.fonts.cache-1 files made sense, but now
that we store caches separately, why don't we simply create per-user
cache directories for the run-time detected cache information? This
would have several benefits:

      * eliminate piles of code for managing global caches
      * Eliminate need to run fc-cache as a regular user
      * Simplify configuration (no list of cache directories)

I suggest that ~/.fonts.cache can become a directory for per-user font
caches, and that the contents be per-directory cache files.

Seem sensible?
--
keith.packard@xxxxxxxxx