Re: Sigh. What to do about per-user fonts...

Keith Packard wrote:
On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 18:27 -0700, Patrick Lam wrote:

Right.  That works best when you don't stick cache files in ~/.fonts
directly, of course.

Here's just the cache dir piece of the patch, without the magic
avoid-the-rescan stuff added.

It's a huge patch because it rewrites all of the cache file lookup code.
Note that this *also* removes the collision avoidence code, which was
busted. It should still identify collisions and fail to save the cache
file in that case, which should be fairly harmless (just dumping stuff
in the per-user cache). Note that MD5 is a strong hash, so this
'shouldn't happen'.

I noticed one problem which occurs when you run fc-cache as root and have HOME set to a user directory. I'll have more details (hopefully a fix) when I next have free time on Friday or something. Right now I'm preparing lecture notes...

pat