Re: font priorities?

Paul Wise wrote:
I'm packaging the khmer ttf fonts for Debian[1], they are "Khmer OS",
"Khmer OS Fasthand", "Khmer OS Freehand", "Khmer OS Metal Chrieng",
"Khmer OS Muol" and "Khmer OS System". I'd like to prioritise the fonts
like this: "Khmer OS" > "Khmer OS System" > the rest, since the rest are
more decorative fonts. I checked fonts-conf(5), but I'm still not sure
how to do this. Does anyone have any idea how to to go about this? Also,
the debian font manager defoma has a way to assign priority values (from
0 to 100) for each font file, is there an equivalent in fontconfig?

As far as I can tell, the way that fontconfig supports font priorities (in some sense) is through the use of aliases. For instance, if you request 'sans-serif', then it looks for:

                <family>serif</family>
                <prefer>
                        <family>Bitstream Vera Serif</family>
                        <family>Times New Roman</family>
                        <family>Thorndale AMT</family>
                        <family>Luxi Serif</family>
   			etc...

The font that gets returned for a specific query of course depends on the query that you make. At the fontconfig level, you get what you ask for; aside from font aliases, it won't decide for you what you asked for.

pat