Problem related to FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden

Sorry if this is not on topic but I'm not sure where else to ask.

I have been trying to build Dia for RedHat Enterprise 3.  After loading all the dependent libraries it seems to need, including fontconfig-2.3.2 and ibXft-2.1.7 I am still getting an error message I can't resolve.

The message I am getting is:
/usr/local/lib/libcairo.so: undefined reference to `FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden'

while doing a make on dia-0.94.

After searching for answers on the web I don't think it really has anything to do with cairo other than cairo is the one complaining about not linking in FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden.

What library is supposed to provide FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden and how do I tell cairo or dia where to link to it?

Thanks,
Mark
--
signature