[Fontconfig] Re: Why do asian fonts contain greek glyphs?

Mike FABIAN wrote:
> Simos Xenitellis <simos74@xxxxxxx> ????????:
>

>> Hi All,
>> There is a nasty situation in the current configuration on fontconfig
>> that makes it really bad when displaying Greek.
>> For example, you get this issue when installing the latest Ubuntu
>> Breezy (Dev version) and it looks like
>> http://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/attachment.cgi?id=3690
>>
>> Why does Greek show like that? The characters are always slanted, big
>> space between them, and in general they are terrible.
>> New distributions have FreeFonts and MgOpen that support Greek.
>>
>> /etc/fonts/fonts.conf says:
>>
>> <alias>
>>                 <family>Bitstream Vera Sans</family>
>>                 <family>Helvetica</family>
>>                 <family>Arial</family>
>>                 <family>Verdana</family>
>>                 <family>Albany AMT</family>
>>                 <family>Nimbus Sans L</family>
>>                 <family>Luxi Sans</family>
>>                 <family>Kochi Gothic</family>
>>                 <family>AR PL KaitiM GB</family>
>>                 <family>AR PL KaitiM Big5</family>
>>                 <family>?? ????</family>
>>                 <family>Baekmuk Dotum</family>
>>                 <family>SimSun</family>
>>                 <family>FreeSans</family>
>> </alias>
>>
>> which means that fonts are searched in this order to find Greek
>> glyphs. It would be nice and perfect, unfortunately
>>
>> 1. Kochi Gothic
>> 2. AR PL KaitiM GB
>> 3. Baekmuk Dotum
>>
>> have Greek glyphs and they get matched, before FreeSans gets the
>> chance. These Asian fonts appear to be double-spaced(?) and display
>> Greek in a way that native Greek speakers are not used to; it looks
>> terrible.
>>
>> Therefore,
>> a. How can we instruct fontconfig (fonts.conf) to ignore any Greek
>> glyphs found in those Asian fonts?
>>

> Why don't you just move the fonts good for Greek up to higher
> priority in the prefer list. I.e. change
>
> 	<alias>
> 		<family>serif</family>
> 		<prefer>
> 			<family>Bitstream Vera Serif</family>
> 			<family>Times New Roman</family>
> 			<family>Thorndale AMT</family>
> 			<family>Luxi Serif</family>
> 			<family>Nimbus Roman No9 L</family>
> 			<family>Times</family>
> 			<family>Frank Ruehl</family>
> 			<family>Kochi Mincho</family>
> 			<family>AR PL SungtiL GB</family>
> 			<family>SimSun</family>
> 			<family>AR PL Mingti2L Big5</family>
> 			<family>?? ??</family>
> 			<family>Baekmuk Batang</family>
> 			<family>FreeSerif</family>
> 		</prefer>
> 	</alias>

> 	<alias>
> 		<family>serif</family>
> 		<prefer>
> 			<family>Bitstream Vera Serif</family>
> 			<family>Times New Roman</family>
> 			<family>Thorndale AMT</family>
> 			<family>Luxi Serif</family>
> 			<family>Nimbus Roman No9 L</family>
> 			<family>Times</family>
> [...]
Thanks all for the input.
I'll produce a patch that places the FreeFonts and MgOpen fonts higher
up in the list for Sans/Serif/Mono fonts in fonts.conf.

FreeFonts were added by Vasilis Vasaitis two years ago
http://cvs.freedesktop.org/fontconfig/fontconfig/fonts.conf.in?r1=1.24&r2=1.25
at the bottom of the list. This has not changed since then, although
some distributions would edit the list for their purposes.

Cheers,
Simos Xenitellis