help on installing fontconfig

When I try to install fontgonfig as a normal user I
get this error message

mkdir: cannot create directory `/etc/fonts': Permiso
denegado

I've tried installing just as it is said in the
INSTALL file aswell as running a

./configure --prefix=myprefix

etc. The interesting thing is that even with this last
option fontconfig still tries to write things in
/etc/fonts although configure is supposed to write
things in /myprefix/etc. Is there a way to surpass
this or I must necessarily install fontconfig as
root?.

Running Red Hat 7.3.

Daniel

Renovamos el Correo Yahoo!: ?250 MB GRATIS!
Nuevos servicios, m?s seguridad
http://correo.yahoo.es