FT_Get_Next_Char error on RH9

Hello,

I'm getting a curious error from the fontconfig that's installed on my RH9
box (fully updated right now).

A previous posting to this list was similar, and was getting errors like
this one:

gnome-terminal: relocation error: /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1: undefined
symbol: FT_Get_Next_Char

Keith Packard had this to say on the subject:

>Around 9 o'clock on Mar 28, "Maisenhelder, Joel" wrote:

>> And thus upgraded fonconfig to 2.1. All I get now are  fc-cache:
relocation
>> error: /usr/local/lib/libfontconfig.so.1: undefined symbol:
>> FT_Get_Next_Char

>That means the version of FreeType you have installed is not the same as
>the version used to build fontconfig.

>> Or if I remove the dirs it has trouble with I get. No fonts found. What
is
>> going on?

>That's a known bug with version 2.1 of fontconfig which is fixed by
>running 'fc-cache -f'.  That should be fixed in 2.1.92, but you'll have
>fix your FreeType version before you can run that.

>-keith

Now, I'm getting the same messages with the freetype and fontconfig that
are installed with my distro, nothing is out of place and I've verified
that the packages are `as installed'.

The only thing that is different from a normal RH9 distro is that I have a
few extra fonts installed in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local.

I tried recompiling fontconfig (from the RH source rpm) on the system, but
the recompiled fontconfig libraries gave the same errors.

fontconfig version is 2.1-9 (redhat) though I'm not exactly sure which
version this translates to.

Typically, I'm not quite sure at which point the error made itself
apparent. It wasn't when I installed ltsp on the machine recently. It
mainly seems to have occurred since I tried running type1inst in
directories that contained some new fonts, but I think it may have been
waiting inthe wings as I don't see how that can have done anything to
upset the system.

Any ideas? This is causing us some trouble as it's our main office
server.

regards,

Seb James