fontconfig with non-local Xserver

--=-IP2b2BaimYoC6cmkdRDi

Le sam 06/12/2003 =E0 01:18, wrstuden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx a =E9crit :
> I recently updated some packages on a lab machine, and now some of the X
> programs are using fontconfig. While fontconfig looks much more
> sophisticated than the older font locating tools, it unfortunately assume=
> the fonts are local. Thus these programs don't run anymore.
>=20
> I can't run fc-cache, because there aren't any fonts on the box.
> Installing fonts on the box just to run fc-cache seems silly and
> counter-productive, as the X server will be using the fonts installed on
> it, not the ones on this box. Also, it doesn't scale well, as it means
> that I have to install (and maintain) fonts on all the boxes I have, as
> opposed to just the Xserver.

Most (all?) applications using fontconfig are rendering their fonts with
freetype, and it requires having the fonts on the *client* side.
Installing fonts on the same boxes as the applications is not
counter-productive, it is necessary for these applications to run.

Regards,
--=20
: :' :           josselin.mouette@xxxxxxxxxxxx
`. `'                        joss@xxxxxxxxxx

--=-IP2b2BaimYoC6cmkdRDi
	=?ISO-8859-1?Q?num=E9riquement?= =?ISO-8859-1?Q?_sign=E9e=2E?=

--=-IP2b2BaimYoC6cmkdRDi--