fio - write benchmark help requested

Hello All,

I am emailing here to understand how fio can be used to benchmark
writes in synchronous and asynchronous mode. I have wasted some time
in running some benchmarks the wrong way. I am sending this email in
the hopes that someone can throw light my way.

As I understand it, unless "direct = 1", synchronous write will occur
in the page cache and thus will not show the storage device's write
bandwidth.
--------------------------------
*Synchronous writes that reflect the device bandwidth/iops can be
performed in two ways:

ioengine = sync,
direct = 1
buffered =0

OR

ioengine = libaio/io_uring
direct = 1
iodepth = 1
-------------------------------------

Asynchronous writes that reflect the device bandwidth/iops can be
performed in the following ways:

ioengine = libaio
direct = 1
iodepth = "x"
io_batch = "y" [where y < x ]

or

ioengine = io_uring
direct = 1
iodepth = "x"
iodepth_batch = "y" [where y < x ]

If I want to maximize the requests that get sent to the device, I can
specify a huge iodepth number. The Linux kernel will then keep sending
the device the maximum I/O requests that the device can accept (true
queue depth of the storage device).

However, I am not sure how to control the actual queue depth when that
is not the case.
If I want the CMR drive (my storage device) to consistently get 4
requests at a time:
setting iodepth = 4 will not control it. This will only control that
the device will have at a maximum 4 requests at a time, but it cannot
control the minimum.

Is this understanding correct?

Best Regards,
Surbhi